[BRLTTY] xbrlapi on Ubuntu 8.04

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Jun 3 11:03:02 EDT 2008

[quoted lines by Jan Mura on 2008/06/03 at 08:17 +0200]

> I have installed Ubuntu Linux on my notebook.
> And as for my Braille display it just shows :
>
> A startup problem
>
> But I found today once it started to run. At the beginning it showed the
> same error but then I found out it runs. But I did nothing to start it.

The "n startup problems" message is displayed by brltty when there are problems
like bad options, bad configuration file entries, etc. All you need to do to
get brltty to continue is press any key on the braille display. You should be
able to find the problems by looking for brltty lines in the system log (often
/var/log/messages).

Is the "n startup problems" message which remains on the braille display until
a key on the display is pressed proving to be too confusing? Should we get rid
of it? It's intention was to draw the user's attention to the fact that he may
need to correct something.