[BRLTTY] BRLTTY Digest, Vol 4, Issue 106

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Jun 9 18:38:03 EDT 2008

[quoted lines by HansP on 2008/06/09 at 19:45 +0000]

>I had connected both my wife's
>terminals to the system; an old ALVA 380 (ttyS0) and
>the Tieman Voyager (usb), just to see what would happen.

One thing to note here is that brltty only autodetects USB-connected devices.
To use the Alva, therefore, you also need to specify -dserial:ttyS0.

>[3] And now for the interesting part! In the src there is
>this utility called run-brltty. When invoked, it promptly
>started the Voyager, and I was able to test the link with
>gnome, orca and gnopernicus --within limits, they all worked.
>So how can this be?

You need to use run-brltty if you're running the brltty executable from the
build tree. If you don't, the newly built executable will pick up the
(presumably older and perhaps incompatible) installed drivers. This may explain
the crash when you built 3.9 and tried to use the Alva, i.e. perhaps it tried
to use the installed 3.8 Alva driver. A check has been introduced recently to
protect against this kind of problem.

>Directories present both in /dev  and /proc.
>all usb(sub)devices fit with leading zeroes. BTW; what
>is the significance of this?--apart from the fact, that it
>makes for easier sorting.

There's no significance other than that /dev/bus/usb/ (actually, udev)
introduced the no leading zeros format at some point and brltty didn't handle
it until a recent fix.

If you have the subversion (svn) client it's always helpful, if possible, to
retest problems against the latest development version. There are notes on
brltty's download page regarding how to build the latest devbelopment version.
In this case, however, since using run-brltty did work, you probably then just
need to do the make install.