[BRLTTY] BRLTTY Digest, Vol 4, Issue 106

HansP pelleboer at versatel.nl
Mon Jun 9 15:45:38 EDT 2008

would you be able to test the latest version in the repository?

yes --guess what? --I had connected both my wife's
terminals to the system; an old ALVA 380 (ttyS0) and
the Tieman Voyager (usb), just to see what would happen.
Interestingly, there were three different results:

[1] the freshly compiled brltty3.9 --without any built-in drivers
--couldn't activate either:
when supplied with the alva flags it died silently.
The voyager configuration yielded: usb: no such device,
and kept searching, until killed with kill -9 pid.

[2] the emerged brltty3.8  complained about a missing
module: usb_scsi and became immortal.
this fatal error message originated from the usbd
daemon ( a bug report has been submitted to the
gentoo developers team ). Neither terminal was found.

[3] And now for the interesting part! In the src there is
this utility called run-brltty. When invoked, it promptly
started the Voyager, and I was able to test the link with
gnome, orca and gnopernicus --within limits, they all worked.
So how can this be?

>Can you check if /proc/bus/usb/ and/or /dev/bus/usb/ exist? For each that
>exists, is it empty or not empty? For each that isn't empty, are the numbered
>directories and the numbered files they contain named with three digits
>(leading zeros) or just simple integers?

Directories present both in /dev  and /proc.
all usb(sub)devices fit with leading zeroes. BTW; what
is the significance of this?--apart from the fact, that it
makes for easier sorting.

yours,

Hans P