[BRLTTY] noppix

Klaus Knopper brltty at knopper.net
Thu Jun 26 06:24:52 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 10:15:57AM +0200, Hermann wrote:
> Daniel Dalton <d.dalton at iinet.net.au> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Does anyone know where I can get noppix from and how it works?
> >
> Look here:
> ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/dist/knoppix/knoppix-dvd

Right. Or any of the mirrors on
http://knopper.net/knppix-mirrors/index-en.html

> > - Is braille supported?
>
> Yes.
>
> > Can it be set up so it auto starts braille with my settings? (I would
> > like to use it as a live DVD for rescuing machines...)
> >
> You have to install it, it's not possible within the live DVD.

It is possible with the live DVD, you dont need to install anything on
harddisk. When the boot screen appears (DVD will stop making noises
after it has been accessed first), type "adriane lang=en" and hit enter.
A menu will greet you with "hit enter for help, arrow down for next menu
item".

> Note: It comes with a special screen reader called "Adriane", but it is
> based on SBL instead of BRLTTY.

We have chosen SBL over brltty because it supports user-configurable
profiles for programs and can be navigated keyboard-only, i.e. braille
is optional. Works standalone on the console, or with orca.

There is a bug in Adriane in Knoppix version 5.3.1, though: Language is
set to german in the main adriane config file /etc/adriane/adriane.conf
. Delete this file in the running live session to get menus and speech
in english.

We will issue an "ADRIANE-only" CD shortly, which will have speech
support out-of-the-box with no boot options necessary. Information about
ADRIANE in general at http://knopper.net/knoppix-adriane/index-en.html

However, as correctly described below, brltty is also an option.

> To check it out type "adriane" at the first prompt after a few seconds.
> However: you can use brltty instead. For this type "knoppix 2" at the
> first DVD stop. Unlike in Adriane, you will have no speech support.
> You can also start up brltty from the beginning by adding the proper
> command in addition to "knoppix 2". it looks like this:
> knoppix 2 brltty=driver,device,brailletable

Regards
-Klaus Knopper