[BRLTTY] noppix

Klaus Knopper brltty at knopper.net
Thu Jun 26 16:17:27 EDT 2008

Hello Chris,

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 05:02:47PM +0100, Chris wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> You wrote:
> "Can it be set up so it auto starts braille with my settings? (I would
> like to use it as a live DVD for rescuing machines...)"
>
> I would have thought that if it's a live DVD then chances are that unless there's a
> setting in the boot menu, just like there is in Ubuntu, this won't be
> possible, however someone can correct me.

Knoppix, as most other live CDs/DVDs nowadays, uses an overlay file
system, so you can change ANY file and setting you like, including
braille configuration. If you like, you can save your preferences
permanently to an USB memory stick, or to a file on hardisk.

Using the DVD together with an USB memory flashdisk works just as if
everything was installed read/write on HD.

By remastering the DVD, you can als change the default settings, but
this is somewhat more complicated than just saving preferences to a
file.

Regards
-Klaus Knopper