[BRLTTY] speech with brltty

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Sat Mar 15 09:24:43 EDT 2008

Daniel Dalton <d.dalton at iinet.net.au> writes:

> On Thu, 21 Feb 2008, Dave Mielke wrote:
>
>> [quoted lines by Daniel Dalton on 2008/02/21 at 22:19 +1100]
>>
>>> How do I get brltty talking with speech-dispatcher?
>>>
>>> And then will it read as I use the arrows? (Like other screenreaders?)
>>>
>>> What is the command to get this going?
>>> I still want braille with my braille note too...
>>
>> If you mean that you'd like brltty to speak all the time, e.g. as you type and
>> as you move the cursor, then you need to turn on the AutoSpeak feature. The
>> BrailleNote has no key binding for this, but you can still enable it via
>> brltty's preferences menu.
>
> Not sure if I replied earlier. But I turned auto speak on.
> So now how do I tell it to use festival or speech dispatcher?

You have to select a speech driver, just like you have to
select a braille driver for your display.  Either edit
/etc/brltty.conf, uncommenting the appropriate speech driver, or
specify the speech driver at the brltty command line
with -s.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang at db.debian.org
 : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
 `. `'