[BRLTTY] English grade 2: Obtaining maximum occupancy

Lee Maschmeyer lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu
Tue Mar 18 11:48:09 EDT 2008

Hi gang,

Dave and I discussed this briefly off list but I thought I'd bring it up
here instead. I hope he doesn't mind...

It used to be that in grade 2 mode, when the last word of a string ended on
the last cell of the display, the next word started on the first cell. I
noticed that lately in this case the next word started on the second cell. I
asked Dave about this and he replied that he'd gotten a complaint that it
wasn't clear there was really a space between those two words so had changed
the behavior (or, since he's Canadian, the behaviour :-).

I like the old behaviour.

I don't know that this is worth pursuing, but it dawned on me that perhaps
the following rules would clarify things in the event the old method was
reinstated:

The only time a braille string starts with a space is when:

1. A screen line starts with one or more spaces, the braille line would
start with a space

2. In a continued line when the preceding string contains no space and the
new one starts with a space

3. In a continued line when there is more than one space on the screen
between the last word in the preceding braille string and the first word in
this one.

This is of course very trivial, but I just thought I'd see what people have
to say if anything.

Have fun,

--
Lee Maschmeyer