[BRLTTY] cursor problem

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Mar 19 23:05:52 EDT 2008

[quoted lines by Cheryl Homiak on 2008/02/28 at 11:38 -0600]

>What is happening is that when I have a symbol such as a capital sign or
>dollar sign, using the us english table and grade two, the cursor never shows
>as being on the symbol after the dollar sign or the capital though it actually
>is there. The apparent line-up of the cursor skips from either the capital
>sign or the first cell of the dollar sign to the second symbol after the
>capital or it appears to be on the second symbol of the dollar sign when it
>actually is on the next symbol. I don't think i'm doing a very good job of
>describing this.

I understand what you're describing. The current rule (open for debate as
always) is that the cursor on the braille display is always on the first cell
of what we might call a compound character. A capital letter, for example, is
constructed from two braille cells and the cursor is always shown on the first
one, i.e. the capital sign. For a number, placing the cursor on the first digit
will result in it being shown on the number sign.