[BRLTTY] speech-dispatcher and brltty

Daniel Dalton d.dalton at iinet.net.au
Thu Mar 20 00:32:02 EDT 2008

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008, Dave Mielke wrote:

> [quoted lines by Daniel Dalton on 2008/03/20 at 07:54 +1100]
>
>> -Could we perhaps use a higher pitch voice to tell that there is a cap?
>> Like most screenreaders?
>
> What about a whole word which starts with a capital letter? What about a word

No change for that.
Only when a capital is pressed on the keyboard?
Speaking of caps how do I enter one with the braille note input?
I use space + dots 45 to get into input mode.

> that's all in capitals?

Well usually you would probably just echo each letter separately.
like test would be spoken like:
t e s t
No pitch change...

>> -No punctuation what so ever is spoken.
>> Is this just controled by speech-dispatcher?
>
> The only things brltty controls at the moment are the volume and the rate. The
> other properties are strictly governed by Speech Dispatcher configuration. It's
> possible that more speech settings would be helpful. I'm not a speech user so
> those who do use speech will have to educate me.

Ok. Any idea on how I can get punctuation voiced then? With sd?
That's my main problem being a programmer...
You need all punctuation to be spoken to read code.
I'm not actually qualified as a programmer, but learning C.

>> And is there a read all function in brltty?
>
> Read all what?

Uh... The screen? Or maybe a function that can read from cursor to bottom
of window or screen...?
I know its basic speech support, but look at some of the things speakup
can do.
We already have line navigation, and other stuff like by word isn't really
needed. So one keystroke to read from the top of a screen to the bottom
and from cursor position to end of screen could be useful.
Its fantastic though for a braille user since its simple and doesn't
require a kernel patch!!!

Thanks!

bye

--