[BRLTTY] English grade 2: Obtaining maximum occupancy

Lee Maschmeyer lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu
Thu Mar 20 11:01:22 EDT 2008

Right now I'm reading a text file in which new paragraphs are signaled by
the lines being indented several spaces. These are translated into one space
in grade 2.

Under the old rules a braille string that starts with a space was always a
new paragraph. Under the current ones such a string may merely be the
continuation of a line in which the previous string ended on the last
character. This leads to ambiguities, especially on displays without status
cells where it's not clear whether you're in the middle of a line or at its
beginning.

Outside of a long URL or other compound word such as a symbol in a program,
the beginning of the first word on a braille string is guaranteed to be the
beginning of that new word. I think the old rule led to fewer uncertainties
than the current one.

Note also that if the last word on a screen line ends in the last cell of
the display you'll still have the situation where there is no blank cell
between the end of that word and the beginning of the next word (on the next
string). Please don't "fix" this one too or I'll really be up the creek. :-)

--
Lee Maschmeyer
Computing Center Services