[BRLTTY] speech-dispatcher and brltty

Daniel Dalton d.dalton at iinet.net.au
Fri Mar 21 18:35:10 EDT 2008

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008, Dave Mielke wrote:

> [quoted lines by Daniel Dalton on 2008/03/20 at 15:32 +1100]
>
>> Speaking of caps how do I enter one with the braille note input?
>> I use space + dots 45 to get into input mode.
>
> Add dot 3 to the combination if you want dot 7 turned on, and add dot 6 for dot
> 8.

Thanks, that worked.

>> Ok. Any idea on how I can get punctuation voiced then? With sd?
>
> I don't know much about Speech Dispatcher itself. Brltty does feed it all the
> characters soA SD will speak whatever it's configured to speak.

Well ok. I emailed the speech-dispatcher list, but I'm probably on the
wrong list.
There haven't been any messages.
Do you know what the list is called?
Or subscribing details?

>> That's my main problem being a programmer...
>> You need all punctuation to be spoken to read code.
>
> I imagine brltty users switch between programming and reading so it might be
> worth being able to control that from the preferences menu.

Yes although I rely mostly on braille for programming speaking punctuation
would be useful if your say in a hurry.
Also I think the same is true for configuration files...
Not as much, but you still want to here all punctuation...

So a quick setting would be very useful.

>>> Read all what?
>>
>> Uh... The screen? Or maybe a function that can read from cursor to bottom
>> of window or screen...?
>
> Yes, brltty has that. There's currently no BrailleNote binding for it, though.

So there is no way of accessing it then?

Could we perhaps have keymaps that could be modified in brltty? The other
thing was could we use keys on the keyboard for speech as well?
Like control to shut it up and maybe a key on the numpad to read all and
any others that you can think of?

I know this is a lot of work. So when I learn C I'll have a go at
implementing them.
That will be a while still though...

Thanks for all your help!
And brltty is working great!