[BRLTTY] 3.10

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Thu May 1 06:48:58 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 08:24:51PM +1000, Daniel Dalton wrote:

> Also, in UEB braille shouldn't a % sign be represented as dots 4 6 then in
> the next cell dots 3 6 and 5?

The Grade II braille table in BRLTTY is based on Nemeth code, which is the
system used in North America. There isn't a UEB table for BRLTTY at the
moment.

I should also point out that I'm opposed to UEB for a number of reasons and I
don't think that Australia, among other countries, should have adopted it.
However, I really don't want to enter into that discussion on this mailing
list. For the record, though, I find Abraham Nemeth's arguments against UEB,
as set forth in a number of papers published by him, to be persuasive, and I
also like the alternative system which he has recently proposed (the so-called
Nemeth Uniform Braille System NUBS), which achieves many of the same aims as
UEB, but with a better design that is more effective for both reading and
writing. In fact, Nemeth code itself would be a better alternative in my
opinion.

Of course, if someone wants to write a UEB table for BRLTTY, by all means go
ahead.