[BRLTTY] partition table - too many swap partitions and how big should extended partition be?

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu May 1 09:06:50 EDT 2008

[quoted lines by Jason White on 2008/05/01 at 21:27 +1000]

>Mount (or reading /etc/mtab) should show you which partition is being used for
>swap.

Or the command: swapon -s

The swapoff command removes a partition from being used for swap. If any space
is in use within it then the command waits while the kernel migrates those
pages elsewhere first.

The swapon command attaches a partition for swapping.

If you wish to remove one or more logical partitions then you should take care
of any potential partition reference problems first. The best appraoch, in my
opinion, is to ensure that all your partition references are by label rather
than by number. This should be done in both "fstab" and "grub.conf". Use the
e2label command to label an ext2/ext3 partition (which can be done while the
partition is online). To label a swap partition you need to take it offline,
remake it with mkswap using its -L (uppercase) option to set the label, and
then put it back online. The "fstab" and "grub.conf" references then need the
"LABEL=" prefix.

>The command to resize your Linux file system depends on which file system you
>chose during installation.
>If you're using ext3, which is most likely, there is a command to resize the
>file system which I would have to go and look up (I use the XFS file system
>myself, rather than ext3, and thus I don't have the ext3 tools installed
>here).

For ext2/ext3 the command is "resize2fs". It, too, can be used while the
partition is online.