[BRLTTY] Braille tables versus contraction tables.

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu May 1 09:28:01 EDT 2008

[quoted lines by Jason White on 2008/05/01 at 21:49 +1000]

>It should be possible to share some of the code with the /etc/brltty.conf
>processing.

I've actually been considering sharing code for all such file reading, e.g. for
table reading as well. Then, for example, they could all benefit from common
capabilities like an include statement and UTF-8 encoding.

>In fact, ideally, the preferences would just be included as a
>subset of the brltty.conf format: preference values specified per user would
>override those in the global configuration file.

Yes, I agree. We'd then be much freer to have per-synthesizer speech
preferences, default braille preferences, per-display braille devices, etc.

>The other cost that I didn't mention would be that of keeping the code which
>handles the old format around, at least for a number of releases, to prevent
>complaints about backward-incompatibility.

I'm a big proponent of backward compatibility and would probably just leave
that code in.

>although there is always the possibility of a migration script.

I, personallyh, hate conversion scripts.