[BRLTTY] Braille tables versus contraction tables.

Lee Maschmeyer lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu
Thu May 1 09:21:14 EDT 2008

Hi folks,

Having an option to control word splitting separate from the braille table
seems a likely increase in clumsiness. I'd have to turn word splitting on
every time I use grade 2 and off when I use computer braille, right? I don't
mind word splitting being available in computer braille as long as I don't
stumble over it habitually which seems likely if the two are separated.

Just to codify my requirements for the functionality of any braille support
software, here are the things I believe I must have available. Other options
being available also are wonderful as long as I get these:

Computer braille: No sliding windows, no window overlap, split lines on
display boundaries

Grade 2: No sliding windows, no window overlap, split lines on word
boundaries

A recent experience convinces me that nobody will want grade 2 without word
splitting (split on word boundaries). It's supposedly available in Jaws but
doesn't work and nobody is complaining, indicating that nobody uses it. The
fact that software can be designed to write grade 2 without word splitting
is therefore a needless piece of complexity and a burden during the
configuration process.

--
Lee Maschmeyer
Computing Center Services