[BRLTTY] Braille tables versus contraction tables.

Hermann meinelisten at onlinehome.de
Thu May 1 11:40:41 EDT 2008

am Do 01. Mai 2008 um 15:23:56 schrieb Lee Maschmeyer <lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu>:
> Having an option to control word splitting separate from the braille table
> seems a likely increase in clumsiness. I'd have to turn word splitting on
> every time I use grade 2 and off when I use computer braille, right? I don't
> mind word splitting being available in computer braille as long as I don't
> stumble over it habitually which seems likely if the two are separated.

Sorry, but as a user of a 40 braille display I would like to have word wrap
as an option in computer braille; unfortunately there's no grade2 in
German.
I think most of the users store their settings in brltty.conf, so one more
option would not be that disturbing.
[...]
> A recent experience convinces me that nobody will want grade 2 without word
> splitting (split on word boundaries). It's supposedly available in Jaws but
> doesn't work and nobody is complaining, indicating that nobody uses it. The
> fact that software can be designed to write grade 2 without word splitting
> is therefore a needless piece of complexity and a burden during the
> configuration process.

I think in case of Jaws it is due to its flexibility of configuration, so
that someone can combine settings that seem to be not that useful. I use
wordwrap in Jaws indipendently whether I use grade2 or not.
Hermann