[BRLTTY] usb_to_serial

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Sun May 4 05:43:41 EDT 2008

On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 07:25:02PM +1000, Daniel Dalton wrote:

> So I had a quick look on ebay and found this:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-to-RS232-Serial-DB9-9-Pin-Cable-Adapter-Converter_W0
> QQitemZ140230142593QQihZ004QQcategoryZ41995QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZView
> Item
>
> Will this item work for what I want?

That link didn't work for me, but in any case it is true that USB to serial
converters are, compatibility wise, problematic, and manufacturers seem to
change versions and model numbers fairly quickly, or so I have read.

Here are a few options for you:

You could try mine, just to see if it works, and then attempt to purchase
something similar. I am rather busy this week but I should have time free
thereafter (e-mail me privately, i.e., off the list, if you're interested).

You could contact Humanware technical support. They are unlikely to know
much about Linux, but they should be able to recommend serial to USB
converters that are known to work with the BrailleNote. At that point, the
only remaining issue would be Linux compatibility, which could be sorted out
if they let you borrow a converter to try out, for example.

I am willing to help with the technical aspects of whatever arrangement is
made, and since (as it turns out) we both live in the same city, this
shouldn't be too difficult.