[BRLTTY] Libus-win32 was: Re: Windows version of brltty now works with my Braillex

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Mon Nov 3 14:05:31 EST 2008

Hermann <meinelisten at onlinehome.de> writes:

> On 03.11.2008 at 14:58:55 Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org> wrote:
> [...]
>>> even with usb displays?
>>
>> libusb-win32 poses some problem, but yes it should work.
>>
> What's the reason for libusb-win32? In Linux, brltty recognizes the USB
> plugged displays without any problems, so why not in Windows?

BRLTTY has a native USB implementation on Linux (and some BSDs).
For all platforms where there is no internal (native) implementation for USB
access we use libusb.

In theory, one could wirte a native USB implementation for BRLTTY on Windows
based on the code that libusb already implements to get rid
of the external dependency.  In reality, its questionable if such an effort
will increase the quality and stability of the USB backend on Windows in the
long run.  Its probably better to bundle libusb-win32 with the
win32 brltty distribution (and installer) if we really have too many
versioning/compatibility problems.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang/key at db.debian.org
 : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
 `. `'