[BRLTTY] The unknown-character sign (26)

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Mon Nov 24 02:27:58 EST 2008

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 02:05:19AM -0500, Dave Mielke wrote:

> Or explicitly define \uFFFD to something else. The uppercase e with acute
> accent in the en_CA text table (which is good for English, French, German, and
> Italian), for example, is represented by all eight dots.

This makes that combination undesirable for this particular table, though I
agree with Dave that it should be the default if the text table doesn't define
a representation for \ufffd.

> >I still think question mark with a dot 7 or dot 8, defined in each table, is a
> >good policy, but that's only my opinion.
>
> Welel, let's see what others have to say. In the end, of course, there's no
> ideal answer. Back to the en_CA text table for a moment. The question mark
> [dots 1456] is what it is. With dot 7 added it's an inverted question mark.
> With dot 8 added it's a lowercase o with circumflex. With both dots 7 and 8
> added it's an uppercase o with circumflex. The latter two are what they are
> because o with circumflex is dots 1456 in both French and Italian.

which makes any variant of the question mark a less desirable choice. I agree
there is no perfect solution here, particularly for text tables that define
all 256 possibilities, which I suspect most, perhaps all of them, do.