[BRLTTY] The unknown-character sign (26)

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Nov 24 07:44:04 EST 2008

[quoted lines by Jason White on 2008/11/24 at 18:27 +1100]

>I agree there is no perfect solution here, particularly for text tables that
>define all 256 possibilities, which I suspect most, perhaps all of them, do.

Most do simply because it seemed to make sense to do so. There's really no
peractical need, for example, to define the range \x80-\x9F as those usually
are extended control characters which are rarely, if ever, needed.

The reality, though, is that newer text tables, as well as rewritten old ones,
will likely differ from what's been done in the past. This is because they're
now based on Unicode rather than on a local character set, which will tend to
mean that only those characters which are actually needed will be defined.