[BRLTTY] The unknown-character sign (26)

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Mon Nov 24 05:52:23 EST 2008

Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> writes:

> [quoted lines by Jason White on 2008/11/24 at 17:54 +1100]
>
>>The next step would be to define appropriate characters in all of the text
>>tables, to ensure that the default representation doesn't occur in any of the
>>supplied configurations (unless for some languages it is specifically
>>desired).
>
> Or explicitly define \uFFFD to something else.

What if we allow the contraction table to define "alkways \uFFFD ..."?
So if the contraction table has no definition for \uFFFD only then will
it look in the text-table?
To me, the question mark is only a problem in 6dot contracted german
braille.  So this is the place where I'd actually want to
override it.  For normal german computer braille (8-dots) its
fine to use a question mark methinks.

> The uppercase e with acute accent in the en_CA text table (which is
> good for English, French, German, and Italian), for example,

[...]

> Back to the en_CA text table for a moment. The question mark
> [dots 1456] is what it is.

Just to explan, 1456 in german 6-dot braille is the ch-contraction,
which is also allowed at word-ending.  So the en_CA representation
might be good for german 8-dot braille (I never checked) but it is
definitely confusing for a 6-dot reader.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang/key at db.debian.org
 : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
 `. `'