[BRLTTY] The unknown-character sign (26)

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Nov 24 07:51:09 EST 2008

[quoted lines by Mario Lang on 2008/11/24 at 11:52 +0100]

>What if we allow the contraction table to define "alkways \uFFFD ..."?
>So if the contraction table has no definition for \uFFFD only then will
>it look in the text-table?

Yes, we could certainly do that. We could even make it a bit easier by
introducing a directive like "uhknown" which would do that.

>Just to explan, 1456 in german 6-dot braille is the ch-contraction,
>which is also allowed at word-ending.  So the en_CA representation
>might be good for german 8-dot braille (I never checked) but it is
>definitely confusing for a 6-dot reader.

What if we stop using the text table as a fallback and insist that the
contraction table be complete? It is, after all, effectively a different
character set. We could replace the text table fallback by representing the
undefined character in hexadecimal, e.g. \x80 or \u8080. An added benefit of
this approach is that the user could look up what the unknown character
actually is.