[BRLTTY] Language setting for speech drivers?

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Nov 27 12:42:49 EST 2008

[quoted lines by Mario Lang on 2008/11/27 at 18:29 +0100]

>Since we recently added so many detailed speech settings for
>speech dispatcher in the preferences menu, could we add one for switching
>languages as well?

Yes, that's actually already on my list of requested features. I've also been
asked for the ability to switch modules. I'm not a speech user but suspect that
it may be necessary at times to switch modules in order to switch languages.

>Come to think of it, speech should probably autoswitch language
>based on the current contraction table in use, since that pretty much implies
>a specific language already.

I suppose the text table also would imply a language. If we're contracting then
we could infer from the contraction table and if we're not contracting then we
could infer from the text table.

Do the various speech engines make it easy to select a language, e.g. by ISO
code, or do you have to know the correct voice name? When you change languages
do you automatically get a default voice for that language or do you also have
to do a corresponding voice switch?