[BRLTTY] having trouble with brltty.conf and how to make Brltty work in cosole and X-windows modes

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Mon Oct 6 04:32:44 EDT 2008

Scott Berry <sberry at northlc.com> writes:

> I have a Power Braille 80 braille display.  I am trying to configure in
> the "/etc/brltty.conf" file that I want it too load the braille display
> on "/dev/ttyUSB)" because I have a usb to serial converter.  But I am
> having trouble getting the syntax correct for the device so that it will
> load properly.  I think in the device directives there should be an
> example showing how to actually set up a device like this.

There is an example:
braille-device  serial:ttyS0    # First serial device.

Just replace ttyS0 by ttyUSB0.

A tip regarding the PowerBraille and USB-to-serial adaptors: The PowerBraille
uses hardware flow control in a somewhat strange way which can lead to
it not working with certain USB-to-serial adaptors.  If it doesn't work
with your current adaptor, make sure to try a different brand before giving up.

> I could not quite understand what the format was.

Every device specifier should be prefixed by a bus type (serial, usb,
bluetooth), followed by a colon and a string which specifies the
device to use.  In case of serial, this string just names
a device file relative to /dev, in case of usb this string usually
specifies a device serial number (in case you have several
USB displays connected), and in case of bluetooth, this
specifies the bluetooth address of your remote device.

> Secondly, I want to use Brltty in both console and X-Windows for Orca.
> How would I set this up properly in the "brltty.conf" file?

If you are using a Debian package of BRLTTY, Orca should
just work out of the box, you dont need to configure anything in
/etc/brltty.conf to make BrlAPI clients work.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang/key at db.debian.org
 : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
 `. `'