[BRLTTY] how to make brltty start all the time from the bootprocedure of Ubuntu

Lee Maschmeyer lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu
Fri Oct 10 16:14:09 EDT 2008

Hello from here, <grin>

I DID IT!

It turns out braille does start from the beginning but the problem is you
can't see it. In order to stop hiding and deleting the boot messages I had
to make two changes. Note that I've never bothered to make Orca work so have
no idea what I may be missing, but for a console-based system like mine the
following works:

1. The instructions in the file pointed to in a previous message are
correct, but note that the default console is really console 1 (see the
tty(1) command) which is Ctrl+Alt+F1. However, I won't need to use that
keystroke in the following.

2. In menu.lst I removed all instances (about 3) of the word "splash". This
prevents display of the splash screen which is what gives the "Screen not in
text mode" message. The screen comes up in text mode, but once Gnome starts
it goes into graphics mode anyway and thus throws away all boot messages
before the current screen.

3. Since Ubuntu boots into runlevel 2, I went to /etc/rc2.d. There's a
README file in that directory, and following instructions given there I
renamed the link that starts gdm. On my system, at least, this link was
named S30gdm, so I renamed it to K70gdm. I rebooted.

Result: I'm on console 1 (tty1), the first console, and I can see the last
25 lines of boot messages. To see prior messages I hold down Shift+PageUp to
eventually get back all the way to the beginning of the boot messages.

Presumably, to start Orca you'd do:

/etc/init.d/gdm start

but this is untested. Your mileage may vary...

HTH,

--

Lee Maschmeyer
Wayne State University