[BRLTTY] my computer is a stupid! brltty doesn't work any more

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Thu Oct 23 12:37:42 EDT 2008

Simone Dal Maso, le Thu 23 Oct 2008 18:23:27 +0200, a écrit :
> brltty -b md -d serial:com1I obtain a fantastic "error 998! bad position
> memory" or something similar.

Error 998 is Invalid access to memory location.

Googling a bit tells that "This is a typical symptom caused by
interference from poorly-designed security-related software
such as antivirus or desktop firewall. Do you have any of
Norton/MacAffee/Symantec antivirus, Logitech webcam software, Kerio,
Agnitum or ZoneAlarm Personal Firewall, LanDesk, or Windows Defender
installed?"

Now, if you could catch the exact output of brltty (with the additional
-l debug -n -e parameters), that would help to debug the issue. For now,
I'm completely clueless apart from the above.

Samuel