[BRLTTY] Contraction errors and patches: oen

Lee Maschmeyer leemer1 at comcast.net
Sun Dec 13 19:08:24 EST 2009

Hi folks,

Awhile ago I submitted a patch that was totally in error. This patch
would have put the e-n sign in the suffix schoen. Dave very properly
blew a gasket (I hope that didn't contribute to his burn <grin>) and
the gross idea was promptly dropped. Literacy prevailed.

However, there are times when oen _should_ use the e-n sign. Think of
bioengineering, which is currently handled right, and coenzyme which
is not. The attached patch "fixes" a few of these errors.

This patch affects a lot of words. On another list a maintainer
requested a lot of small patches rather than one big one, saying that
the big ones were harder to handle. I didn't want to have lots of
offset confusion though so left this one big. Advice/requirements for
the future are appreciated.

Some of these are strange words. I never heard of Boende but it does
exist and is in Wikipedia. I never heard of Symoens either and he
isn't on Wikipedia, but he's sited in the back of a Walter Scott
book. While protoenchanter is obviously a fictitious word, one can
imagine valid words that begin with proto so I hope it's allowed to
stand. Constitooency is out-and-out dialect but ooen in the middle of
a word should probably use the e-n sign.

I hope these are reasonable,

--

Lee Maschmeyer

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear
to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than
what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."
     --Lewis Carroll