[BRLTTY] BRLTTY and speech-dispatcher

Sebastian Humenda shumenda at gmx.de
Wed Dec 23 07:25:55 EST 2009

Hello Dave,

Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> wrote on Di, Dez 22, 2009 at 04:47:11 -0500:
>[quoted lines by Sebastian Humenda on 2009/12/22 at 21:19 +0100]
>>No, as far as I know, it speaks anyhow. But I only noticed this with the ibmtts.
>But what if the new module doesn't support the current language, or, if you
>switch them the other way around, what if the new language isn't supported by
>the current module?
I believe if the current module doesn't support the language, it speaks it's
default language. If not, speech-dispatcher has a dummy module which is loaded,
when something is badly wrong with the current module.

>>Btw, Orca provides this function to use a different speech-module/language.
>Can you please give me a few real examples of how this kind of thing is
>specified with Orca?
You can at first select the speech system, which in brltty is the speech-driver
option. Then you have a list of possible modules, which you can select. In a
third list, where you can select languages. If the module is only keepable of
handling one language, there is only one shown. My guess is (since I haven't
read anything about it) that the speech-dispatcher protocoll provides a list of
possible features for each module.

Sebastian