[BRLTTY] Default for key tables - OFF or ON

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Tue Feb 3 13:32:25 EST 2009

"Lee Maschmeyer" <lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu> writes:

> All of Mario's ideas require coding. That's very nice, but if we define our
> project narrowly enough all we need is a constant way to get to the
> display's already-existing help screen regardless of display. We can add
> other facilities when we want to, though writing code does take time. We've
> got an existing ktb interface. Is it possible to use that ktb interface to
> access the existing help screen?

I hear you.  All I am asking is if we are applying the right
solution to the problem, at the right time.

> It would take one line of code in one .ktb table, wouldn't it?

Yes, however, it also means using a very new piece of code, changing
its "turned off by default" behaviour to "enabled by default" and
using that to solve a totally different problem.  The ktb interface was
written to allow brltty's speech functionality to be used while
(possibly temporarily) having your display disconnected, and for braille
displays that dont have enough keys to be useable.

> If it isn't practical, if installers won't allow ktb tables to work, then we
> can't use it. All I've seen so far is Dave's wondering whether it will. Has
> an answer been forthcoming?

It will work, if udev has been started, which it is on many installers.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang/key at db.debian.org
 : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
 `. `'