[BRLTTY] precompiling a static brltty bin for an USB device

Labrador labrad0r at edpnet.be
Fri Jul 3 09:20:45 EDT 2009

Hi,

my problem is this:

 I'd like to add a static bin for an Alva 544 USB to a notebook without
touching the current system.

 The hardware is an Hercules ECAFE EC-800 notebook,
coming with a Mandriva-alike Linux o s,
and a graphical environment I shouldn't be able to tell if it's qt or gtk
based, or xface or another ???!

 I just need to provide brltty because I can open a terminal and connect me
through ssh and a 3G modem (Internet Everywhere) to a remote Gnu/Linux
machine/or my home machine.
But I repeate I wouldn't touch the current o s to prevent any termination of
the warranty:

my Alva is the Satellite 544;
can I precompile on a deb based o s a static bin for such a rpm based o s ?

and especially for USB while I know that current kernels are able to detect
braille devices (but that of the ECAFE probably wouldn't do so)?

( the kernel at the ECAFE is 2.6.24.7-desktop-1mnb )

Thanx in advance,

Labrador