[BRLTTY] Contraction errors and patch: Orthopedic

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Jul 14 09:29:44 EDT 2009

[quoted lines by Sebastian Humenda on 2009/07/14 at 15:15 +0200]

>I don't know who makes the rules, but I learned that "schoen" should be without
>an e-n-sign. The e-n-sign is a sign with low
>priority and is only used when there is an end-syllable. The "en" in schoen is
>clearly in no end-syllable.

Whatever the rule is, I suspect the problem in this case is that the average
English speaker cannot pronounce the German oe sound. Whenever they try, they
invariably do pronounce it as two syllables (o-en), and, therefore, would
indeed think that the "en" at the end is a separate syllable.

The actual rule can't be that it has to be an end syllable. For example, it's
used in "enlarge". It's also used in "bend". It's not, however, used in
"enumerate". The rule probably is that both letters have to be within the same
syllable.