[BRLTTY] Best way to fit brltty into startup process with udev?

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Jul 22 08:58:53 EDT 2009

[quoted lines by Zachary Kline on 2009/07/21 at 16:52 -0700]

>I am running ArchLinux, which uses udev for device management as do most
>other distributions these days.
>I don't have a bluetooth adaptor, so when I want to use the
>refreshabraille I'll probably be connecting it to a USB port.
>Are there any suggestions as to the best way of integrating brltty into
>my distro's startup sequence?  Ideally, I want it up as soon as
>possible.  I just worry that if I do it too early udev won't be running
>and none of the devices brltty needs wil be up.
>Any advice greatly appreciated.

I'm not personally familiar with ArchLinux, but what I can tell you is that
it's okay to start brltty before all the devices it needs exist because it
waits for them to show up. The default is that it tries to start the driver at
five second intervals until it succeeds. The best place to start it is probably
right after udev is started.