[BRLTTY] Best way to fit brltty into startup process with udev?

Zachary Kline kline.zachary at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 13:56:44 EDT 2009

Hi Dave,
On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 08:58:53AM -0400, Dave Mielke wrote:
> [quoted lines by Zachary Kline on 2009/07/21 at 16:52 -0700]
>
> >I am running ArchLinux, which uses udev for device management as do most
> >other distributions these days.
> >I don't have a bluetooth adaptor, so when I want to use the
> >refreshabraille I'll probably be connecting it to a USB port.
> >Are there any suggestions as to the best way of integrating brltty into
> >my distro's startup sequence?  Ideally, I want it up as soon as
> >possible.  I just worry that if I do it too early udev won't be running
> >and none of the devices brltty needs wil be up.
> >Any advice greatly appreciated.
>
> I'm not personally familiar with ArchLinux, but what I can tell you is that
> it's okay to start brltty before all the devices it needs exist because it
> waits for them to show up. The default is that it tries to start the driver at
> five second intervals until it succeeds. The best place to start it is probably
> right after udev is started.
Hm.  This seems to be somewhere in an init script executed by a sysinit
line.  /sbin/udevd --daemon, I think.  I'm a little uncertain about
modifying the distro-supplied script too much.  They also provide a
script to let brltty start up with their regular daemons.
Thanks for the information.  It'll come in useful.
Best,
Zack.