[BRLTTY] Speech cursor.

Luke Yelavich themuso at ubuntu.com
Tue May 12 23:58:44 EDT 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 12:47:37PM EST, Dave Mielke wrote:
> One of the interesting projects I'll be considering is the introduction of a
> speech cursor. In principle, it's an easy thing to do. I need some guidance
> from speech users, however, regarding cursor tracking. Clearly, the speech
> cursor should move independently from the system cursor and braille display
> position. When, however, should the speech cursor be automatically moved?
> Should it track to the system cursor if the latter moves? Should it jump to the
> braille display position if it is moved? Since I'm not a speech user at all, I
> have absolutely no intuitive sense of what's the best way to make it work.

Ideally, this should all be user configurable. As Jason has stated, there are different situations where different configurations are required by the user.

I dare say a lot of users will be interested in this, as am I, because it will create a screen reader other than speakup. While speakup is good, it is difficult for most users to get set up properly. Since I am considering setting up BrlTTY in such a way that will allow it to behave as a console screen reader in Ubuntu, I am willing to work with you and others to test and provide feedback.

Luke