[BRLTTY] Speech cursor.

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Mon May 25 14:26:10 EDT 2009

Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> writes:

> One of the interesting projects I'll be considering is the introduction of a
> speech cursor. In principle, it's an easy thing to do. I need some guidance
> from speech users, however, regarding cursor tracking. Clearly, the speech
> cursor should move independently from the system cursor and braille display
> position. When, however, should the speech cursor be automatically moved?
> Should it track to the system cursor if the latter moves?

I think we have an analogy to the current behaviour regarding system
cursor tracking here.  The speech cursor should have a flag toggled
in a similar way like the current cursr tracking toggle for display
positions.  If the flag is on, the speech cursor should follow the
system cursor position, while off it should stay where it is.
It should also be possible to route the system cursor to where
the speech cursor currently is and vice versa.
Commands for announcing (via speech) the current speech and system
cursor positions would also be very helpful.
SAY_SYSTEM_CURSOR_COORDINATES, SAY_SPEECH_CURSOR_COORDINATES maybe.

We will also need commands to SAY_CHARACTER and SAY_WORD with some
algorithm to figure out word-boundaries.  NEXT/PREVIOUS_WORD is also
a must have I guess, maybe with wrapping and non-wrapping versions
like we do with window scrolling commands, or a toggle to enable/disable
wrapping to next/previous line.

> Should it jump to the braille display position if it is moved?

Good question, I am not quite sure.  We could add yet another toggle to
have this configurable.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang/key at db.debian.org
 : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
 `. `'