[BRLTTY] Default braille table

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Fri Oct 2 17:07:49 EDT 2009

[quoted lines by Nicolas Pitre on 2009/10/02 at 16:47 -0400]

>It probably should define the default table (which doesn't necessarily
>have to be the built-in table).

But, just to argue the point a bit, that'd make it inconsistent with other
options, e.g. --with-braille-driver, which determine what to build in.
--with-braille-driver appears to be setting a default because, while the
default is still atuo, autodetection is only done on built-in drivers (unless
none are built in), and because even the pobe is skipped if exactly one driver
is built in..

>I guess to make things totally unambiguous, we'd need:
>
>--with-builtin-text-table
>--with-default-text-table
>--with-text-table

Perhaps, but mightn't this approach be too complex? configure needs to be where
we specify what to build in, but isn't brltty.conf good enough for specifying
the default? That's what we have today, with just the documentation being the
source of confusion.

>Now the question is whether or not the built-in table should be used
>when it matches what the user asked for even if that table exists
>externally.  I think it is preferable to use an external version of the
>table when available in preference to the built-in one in order to
>benefit from any modifications the user might have done to it.

Yes, I completely agree.

>Does this make sense?

Yes, what you say does make sense, but my sense is that it may not make sense
to adopt an overly complex solution.