[BRLTTY] Default braille table

Nicolas Pitre nico at fluxnic.net
Fri Oct 2 18:53:05 EDT 2009

On Fri, 2 Oct 2009, Dave Mielke wrote:

> [quoted lines by Nicolas Pitre on 2009/10/02 at 16:47 -0400]
>
> >It probably should define the default table (which doesn't necessarily
> >have to be the built-in table).
>
> But, just to argue the point a bit, that'd make it inconsistent with other
> options, e.g. --with-braille-driver, which determine what to build in.
> --with-braille-driver appears to be setting a default because, while the
> default is still atuo, autodetection is only done on built-in drivers (unless
> none are built in), and because even the pobe is skipped if exactly one driver
> is built in..

But the analogy is not good as you can't specify multiple tables to
build in (unless I'm mistaken).

> >I guess to make things totally unambiguous, we'd need:
> >
> >--with-builtin-text-table
> >--with-default-text-table
> >--with-text-table
>
> Perhaps, but mightn't this approach be too complex?

It certainly is, and I don't like it much myself.

> configure needs to be where
> we specify what to build in, but isn't brltty.conf good enough for specifying
> the default?

I would think so.

> That's what we have today, with just the documentation being the
> source of confusion.

Let's fix the documentation then. The --with-text-table i.e. the ability
to actually change the built-in table, is probably only useful for
building a stand-alone BRLTTY binary to be used in a special environment
with no extra files (will that still be true with braille drivers moving
to key tables?).

Nicolas