[BRLTTY] Default braille table

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Oct 5 10:33:45 EDT 2009

[quoted lines by Sébastien Hinderer on 2009/10/04 at 23:02 +0200]

>Replying to this message but to talk about the whole thread, and more
>precisely the discussion about text vs. buil-in vs. default table.
>To me, whether a table is built in or not is not something that may
>interest end-users a lot. In my opinion, the only thing that really
>matters is which table is used by default. Building the table into the
>executable is just a way to ensure that it will be there at run-time, so
>I think it's more a developer choice and the end-user should not have to
>take care bout building a table into an executable or not. I think we
>chose the most efficient default (perhaps building the default table
>into the executable just to be sure it's here), and maybe provide a
>configure option to disalbe building the table in for those who really
>want to make their brltty smaller.

I think, in principle, everyone, including myself, agrees with you. The
question, however, is to which category of users do the configure options
primarily apply. Brltty's defautls are such that users don't really need to
mess with configure options. They're really there for packagers, who, as I see
it, fall more into the developer community than into the general user
community.