[BRLTTY] Two problems with Pegasus display from Deininger

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sat Apr 3 11:20:10 EDT 2010

[quoted lines by Sebastian Humenda on 2010/04/03 at 10:47 +0200]

>The problem remains.

This is the problem where you sometimes appear to be missing a keyboard release
event when using a keyboard key table?

I personally work with a keyboard key table (in my case, -kkeypad) active all
the time, in part so that I'll encounter any problems which may remain within
that code. In spite of this, I haven't encountered a problem of the type you're
describing.

I'm assuming that the key release event does eventually arrive as you're not
reporting indefinite repeating. It must be, therefore, that it just seems to
arrive late on occasion. I'm suspecting, therefore, that you may actually be
seeing something that I have observed, which I believe to be a problem within
the Linux kernel combined with a common problem among typists (myself
included).

The problem within the Linux kernel is that newly created keyboard devices
(well, event devices, but I'm trying to keep it simple here) autorepeat at a
miuch higher default rate than the keyboard itself. Brltty is impacted by this
because it has to create a new keyboard device in order to echo back to the
kernel the key events that it doesn't handle itself. What this means from a
user perspective is that you get a higher repeat rate when brltty is running
(and you've specified a keyboard key table) than you do when it isn't running.

The typist problem is that people, often unknowingly, are a little slow in
releasing keys, especially when typing quickly and also especially when the
next character is typed by the other hand. I'm no expert in this, but, as
mentioned above, I myself am guilty of doing this. I suspect our brains put
more attention on getting the next key rpessed quickly than they do on
releasing the previous key. Those of us old enough to remember having used
manual typewriters were forced to face this as, whenever we'd type quickly, we
often ended up with massive hammer jams. With the much softer touch of today's
electronic keyboards, I suspect this problem is much more significant.

So, if I'm right, what you're observing is explainable. If fast typing is
causing you to be a little slow at releasing keys, and given that Linux is
defaulting the keyboard device that brltty is echoing back into to a higher
repeat rate, it may simply be that the key repeating is kicking in much earlier
than you're expecting it to.

I've already been trying to figure out a good way to solve the higher default
repeat rate problem. So far, though, I've been unsuccessful at getting the
right current value back from the kernel. I'll look into it again.

>Should I provide for this problem also a log file? I
>suppose this one would be huge.

Yes, it'd be huge. Please try to figure out if my guess above bears any
resemblance to reality first.

>I don't know whether brltty supports timestamps in the log file, but it would
>be easier to track down the error in the log file, when it has just happened.

It doesn't write timestamps right now, but, yes, it'd be nice if it did. I've
just been reluctant to add yet another command line option.

>For the other problem with the first routing key I started brltty and
>clicked once on the first and then once on the second routing key. The
>same I repeated in a text editor. I attach the file below.

The log file shows both keys being pressed. Insofar as routing keys are
concerned, it shows five keys: first, second, first, second, first. The log
further shows that the core is indeed seeing all of them and interpreting them
correctly.