[BRLTTY] Two problems with Pegasus display from Deininger

Sebastian Humenda shumenda at gmx.de
Mon Apr 5 10:25:56 EDT 2010

Hello,

Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> wrote on Sa, Apr 03, 2010 at 11:20:10 -0400:
>>The problem remains.
>This is the problem where you sometimes appear to be missing a keyboard release
>event when using a keyboard key table?
>
>I personally work with a keyboard key table (in my case, -kkeypad) active all
>the time, in part so that I'll encounter any problems which may remain within
>that code. In spite of this, I haven't encountered a problem of the type you're
>describing.
>
>I'm assuming that the key release event does eventually arrive as you're not
>reporting indefinite repeating. It must be, therefore, that it just seems to
>arrive late on occasion. I'm suspecting, therefore, that you may actually be
[...]
>So, if I'm right, what you're observing is explainable. If fast typing is
>causing you to be a little slow at releasing keys, and given that Linux is
>defaulting the keyboard device that brltty is echoing back into to a higher
>repeat rate, it may simply be that the key repeating is kicking in much earlier
>than you're expecting it to.
If I understood you right, this would be the same in Gnome, which in fact
isn't. Or is Gnome handling (because of the X-server) the keyboard in a
different way?
My speech is configured to speak very fast, hence I hear all keys I press (I
can't verify, but distinguish them). When this problem occures the speech
stops for felt milliseconds and then begins reporting the repeated keys
and the keys which I pressed afterwards. However, this is only how I think it
happens.

>>I don't know whether brltty supports timestamps in the log file, but it would
>>be easier to track down the error in the log file, when it has just happened.
>It doesn't write timestamps right now, but, yes, it'd be nice if it did. I've
>just been reluctant to add yet another command line option.
You could also write a little patch which I apply for testing. Then I send you
the relevant output from the log file.

>>For the other problem with the first routing key I started brltty and
>>clicked once on the first and then once on the second routing key. The
>>same I repeated in a text editor. I attach the file below.
>The log file shows both keys being pressed. Insofar as routing keys are
So I guess it might be a hardware problem. thanks and sorry for the time wasted
on it.

Sebastian