[BRLTTY] My full logs become complicated

Jean-Philippe MENGUAL mengualjeanphi at free.fr
Sun Jun 6 14:32:53 EDT 2010

Hi,

Here's how I started a dialog with Samuel on debian-accessibility
because I believed it was a debian package problem. In fact it's only
that, changing to rsyslog, the brltty problem becomes very difficult to
live everyday.

Thanks if you've an idea.

Regards,

Jean-Philippe MENGUAL, le Sun 06 Jun 2010 18:15:18 +0200, a écrit :
> > > So far my logs were full of messages such as:
> > > brltty[1618]: input byte missing at offset 2 brltty[1618]: input byte
> > > missing at offset 1 brltty[1618]: input byte missing at offset 1
> >
> > This looks like a driver issue. You can reduce the level of log details
> > by adding
> >
> > log-level error
> I tried. Same problem

That's odd:

./Programs/io_misc.c:        LogPrint(LOG_WARNING, "input byte missing at offset %d", (int)*   offset);

so setting the error level to error should be enough to get it not
printed. Again, posting on brltty at mielke.cc will probably have more
useful answers.

> > in your brltty.conf. Did you try the 4.2 release?
> >
> > > I precise that this bug only appears on a 32bits system, on amd64 only
> > > messages appear in log (it's a problem, but less critical).
> >
> > I believe it's just a matter of differing syslog configuration.
> Ok you give a very important answer: indeed, on 32bits, as on amd64, I changed
> sysklogd to rsyslog. It's probably the reason.

Very probably.

> But 2 questions so: how can I configure rsyslog not to display these
> messages (or at least on stdout);

I have no idea, did you check its documentation?

> I tried 4.2, same problem. It's due mainly to rsyslog so.

Well, yes and no: the actual bug is that brltty expects more data from
the device. That's where brltty at mielke.cc or Olivier really should get
in the loop to fix that. The fact that rsyslog writes it out is an
independant matter.

Samuel

To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-accessibility-REQUEST at lists.debian.org