[BRLTTY] brltty as a replacement for libbraille

Ulrich Völkel mail at ulrich-voelkel.de
Thu Mar 18 07:26:21 EDT 2010

Hi!

I'm writing a GUI-application for Windows that uses libbraille for
displaying stuff on the braille display and gathering key events.

The code is quite simple. It's basically a QThread (I'm using Qt)
initializing the libbraille, waiting for key events and signal the main
thread if a key is pressed.

Because libbraille has some problems with certain displays the idea was
to use brltty as an alternative. So I started with the brltty examples
and did quite the same as i did with libbraille. Create a Thread that
initializes the brltty connection and waits for key press events.
Surprise, it does not work. No key events are received.

I'm using brltty 4.1-2.

If i start brltty in debug mode, start my app and press a key nothing
happens. As soon as the brltty terminal gets the focus my application
receives the key event.
The same happens when I compile my app as a console application (with Qt
you simply add a "CONFIG += console" parameter to your project file). If
I start my app it opens a console and the main window. The main window
gets the focus. If I press a key, nothing happens. As soon as the
console gets focused the main window receives the key event.

I searched the mailinglist and found some remarks about passing the HWND
of the focused window to brltty but is that true and if so, how do i
correctly cast a HWND to an int?

Does anyone have an idea, how to solve the problem?
I don't need any focus-handling done by brltty but a quite basic in/out
as with libbraille. And all that in a windows gui application.

Or is this just not possible with brltty?

Or is there any application out there that has done something similar so
I could look how it is done?

btw: brltty, at least in it's default configuration, does not recognize
the fourth (from right) of the blue keys on top of the Tieman Voyager
display.

Any help, comment, code example, or hint is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

- Uli

--
Ulrich Völkel