[BRLTTY] BRLTTY for Windows not working

marquats at studi.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de marquats at studi.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
Thu Sep 30 11:37:42 EDT 2010

> Then there shouldn't be any problem: BrlAPI does not treat
> dot patterns in any particular case, it's just an 8bit value.
> You could run brltty in debug mode to get more debug output.

I have done. The debug.log file is attached.

> You said your device was a Handytech Braille Star 40. Perhaps
> there are some special things there? Do these dot presses work
> when using brltty alone without a BrlAPI client?

Yes, the device works. I used it with Jaws also, and it was possible to
receive all dot-patterns that are entered on the device.
To test with brltty, I have added lines like the following to the file
brl-ht-bs.kti:
bind B1+B4 LNUP
bind B2+B3+B8 LNDN
or
bind B7+B8 LNUP
bind B2+B3 LNDN
These are only partially working. B2+B3 works, but some others don't.
Maybe there is a conflict between multiple assignments of inputs to the
commands?

> Just curious: was just providing the .h files and the .def file
> fine enough for you to use the brlapi library?
>  Would you suggest anything more?

I had missed one thing: I didn't know that/how I had to create the
brlapi.lib file to use it with Visual C++. This info was somewhere in the
docs, but now I can't remember where, and I hadn't found it myself but
asked in the mailing list why it didn't work with libbrlapi.a .

All that stuff is a bit complicated. Couldn't you make it simpler? ;)

Greets, Thomas Marquardt