[BRLTTY] The BrailleNote Apex QT Debacle

Sabahattin Gucukoglu mail at sabahattin-gucukoglu.com
Tue Aug 16 08:47:40 EDT 2011

One of HumanWare's engineers finally made an appearance of HumanWare's mailing list, stating for the record what we had hitherto only suspected: that they buggered up with the latest KeySoft release, breaking protocol compatibility for QT users, and that a patch would introduce a toggle for either the old or new protocol.  The old protocol would be compatible with brltty; the new, until we have documentation, would not.  The old protocol uses home-row input; the new does not, doing QT (QWERTY) pass-through.

For various reasons, I'm exchanging (for a fee, naturally) my QT for a BT keyboard.  I feel the QT model to have been, shall we say, less well gifted than the BT, culminating in a breakdown that rendered my unit mostly unusable.  However, it would probably benefit brltty hugely to have this QT input support, and if ever I get my hands on the protocol specification, I'll be sure to share.

Cheers,
Sabahattin