[BRLTTY] [Braillenote] Re: The BrailleNote Apex QT Debacle

Sabahattin Gucukoglu mail at sabahattin-gucukoglu.com
Tue Aug 16 13:41:56 EDT 2011

On 16 Aug 2011, at 18:30, Dave Mielke wrote:
> [quoted lines by Sabahattin Gucukoglu on 2011/08/16 at 17:05 +0100]
>> I don't know what the current state of desktop Linux is, but USB is a bit
>> tricky because you need to automatically set up the serial port it represents
>> and then get brltty started using it in order for plug-and-pray to work.  It
>> should theoretically be possible using Hal, but I've never seen it done.
>
> It probably already works automatically, out of the box, with udev. Brltty,
> however, doesn't need a virtual serial port in order to access a device via
> USB. It has the ability to connect directly to the device over USB. This is
> actually how most users use it.

Would this work for BrailleNote also?  It was using the ipaq Pocket-PC serial interface with a custom vendorid and deviceid; I had to load the ipaq module with parameters then set up brltty over that port.  But perhaps there's some way to speak that protocol straight to the BN, I don't recall it being in the driver though.

Cheers,
Sabahattin