[BRLTTY] [Braillenote] Re: The BrailleNote Apex QT Debacle

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Aug 16 13:30:14 EDT 2011

[quoted lines by Sabahattin Gucukoglu on 2011/08/16 at 17:05 +0100]

>I don't know what the current state of desktop Linux is, but USB is a bit
>tricky because you need to automatically set up the serial port it represents
>and then get brltty started using it in order for plug-and-pray to work.  It
>should theoretically be possible using Hal, but I've never seen it done.

It probably already works automatically, out of the box, with udev. Brltty,
however, doesn't need a virtual serial port in order to access a device via
USB. It has the ability to connect directly to the device over USB. This is
actually how most users use it.

>Keyboards should be fine.

Yes. USB HID keyboards just work.

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.