[BRLTTY] HIDE CURSOR

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Dec 15 14:35:33 EST 2011

[quoted lines by Phillip on 2011/12/12 at 09:08 -0200]

>And we have a huge problem, our hardware have some different skills that
>others displays in the market doesn´t have. One skill that our display will
>have is the cursor system. This system will be done in the hardware, by
>microcontroller and not in the driver BRLTTY.

How does the microcontroller in your device know when the cursor has been moved
by the user?

>So, when the user press the arrows keys of keyboard for navigation into text,
>the driver can´t move the cursor.

The driver doesn't move the cursor. It doesn't even know that the arrow keys
have been pressed. Even brltty itself doesn't know that the arrow keys have
been pressed. Brltty asks the system where the cursor is, then it adds the dots
which represent the cursor to the correct character, and finally it tells the
driver which dots to display in which cells.

>Because the navigation in the text will be make by buttons in the own
>hardware.

It's just my opinion, of course, but I think you'll find that users will want
to be able to work from the keyboard as well.

>This is the construct method code of our driver:

Your constructor is fine, except that I'd recommend using the new generic I/O
functions. For an example of using them, see the new Humanware driver in the
latest development code.

>You can see, i have been call enqueueCommand(BRL_CMD_CSRVIS |
>BRL_FLG_TOGGLE_OFF) method, like you taught. But even with this line of
>code, my driver BRLTTY still do the same thing, move and show the cursor
>when the user press the arrow keys on the PC keyboard.

Yes, it will. Now that I've looked at it more closely, I understand what the
"problem" is. When brltty starts up, it displays it's one-line banner. This
message is held on the display for four seconds unless the user presses a key
to clear it. The command to turn off cursor visibility is being swallowed by
that code. The enqueued command is being interpreted as a key press on the
device to clear the banner line.

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.
EMail: dave at mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | http://Mielke.cc/now.html