[BRLTTY] Contracted braille and current word

Lee Maschmeyer leemer1 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 15 23:55:41 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 08:32:08PM -0400, Dave Mielke wrote:
> What if this were made a three-choice selector: six dots without
> contracting, contract whole line, contract but expand current word.

I don't think these are the same kind of situation. I very seldom want
six dots without contractions, and when I do I can get it through a
temporary mod to the preferences menu to turn off the contraction
table. Changing the toggle just makes it easier.

But I will always want to contract the whole line. It's something I
will set and forget, like Skip rest of line.

You could make it a three-way toggle: 8 dots, 6 dots with contraction,
6 dots without contraction, but this means we'd have to push it twice
to get back to 8 dots. This might not be a bad idea as the 8/6 dots
toggle isn't tremendously easy on some devices like the ABT340. But if
the "twice quickly" is generous enough it could work reasonably
well. Of course, I'm the one who came up with the idea... :-)

--

Lee Maschmeyer

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear
to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than
what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."
     --Lewis Carroll