[BRLTTY] Contracted braille and current word

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Jun 16 00:05:52 EDT 2011

[quoted lines by Lee Maschmeyer on 2011/06/15 at 23:55 -0400]

>I don't think these are the same kind of situation. I very seldom want
>six dots without contractions, and when I do I can get it through a
>temporary mod to the preferences menu to turn off the contraction
>table. Changing the toggle just makes it easier.
>
>But I will always want to contract the whole line. It's something I
>will set and forget, like Skip rest of line.
>
>You could make it a three-way toggle: 8 dots, 6 dots with contraction,
>6 dots without contraction, but this means we'd have to push it twice
>to get back to 8 dots. This might not be a bad idea as the 8/6 dots
>toggle isn't tremendously easy on some devices like the ABT340. But if
>the "twice quickly" is generous enough it could work reasonably
>well.

So I probably didn't do it the best way, then. You'd like the Text Style
selector to have three choices (8-dot computer braille, 6-dot computer braille,
contracted braille), and for the new Six Dots Mode selector to become Expand
Current Word. Would that be better?

Any other votes/suggestions?

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.