[BRLTTY] new user with problems

Rob Hudson captinlogic at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 22:40:07 EST 2011

Hi, I installed brltty on arch with the following arguments:
./configure --with-braille-driver=bl --with-device+/dev/ttS0
For a braille lite 18.
I edited the braille.h so that it looks like this:
/*

* BRLTTY - A background process providing access to the console screen (when in

* text mode) for a blind person using a refreshable braille display.

*

* Copyright (C) 1995-2011 by The BRLTTY Developers.

*

* BRLTTY comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.

*

* This is free software, placed under the terms of the

* GNU General Public License, as published by the Free Software

* Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any

* later version. Please see the file LICENSE-GPL for details.

*

* Web Page: http://mielke.cc/brltty/

*

* This software is maintained by Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc>.

*/

/* BrailleLite/braille.h - Configurable definitions for the Braille Lite driver

* N. Nair, 6 September 1998

*

* Edit as necessary for your system.

*/

/* used by speech.c */

#include "io_serial.h"

extern SerialDevice *BL_serialDevice;

/* We always expect 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit. */

/* Select baudrate to use */

#define BAUDRATE 9600

//#define BAUDRATE 38400

/* Define the following for dots to character mapping for input to use

the same (user-defined) table as is used for output, instead of the

hard-coded US table. */

#define USE_TEXTTRANS

I set the baud rate on the blt to 9600 and I ran this command::
brltty=bl,ttS0,en_US
And I didn't see anything. Did I forget something?